On Saturday 13 Mar 2004 2:35 pm, Charlie wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:11 am, many eyes viewed Keith Powell's words:-
>
> > I have just tried running aspell in a terminal and manually checking a
> > text file. It works correctly, so it would appear that there is nothing
> > wrong with the Aspell installation. I'll carry on trying to find what's
> > causing the problem. Others don't have it with KWord, and I only get it
> > with the KOffice programs, so presumably it's something to do with my
> > set-up
> >
> > Very odd!!
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Further to my last experimentations I discovered the following
>
> In KWord Settings/configure/spelling/
>
> Dictionary            ASpell default
> Encoding              US-ASCII
> Client                        International Ispell
>
> Consider run together words as spelling errors enable
> Show Misspelled words in Document
>
> And the automagic spell checker works.
>
> But what I did was changed the Client to ASpell I think, and it returned to
> Ispell So maybe you have to work in there and it will set itself up?
>
> So everything on the left click menu is now working. Very strange.
>

> In Kpresenter I had some problems, leaving it as default I discovered that
> on auto spell check it marked the words, but unfortunately brought up the
> spell checker and froze the screen. I couldn't get out without logging out
> and coming back in.
>
> Then I placed ASpell as the Client, and it went through all the processes
> as with KWord. But the spell checking window flashed onto the screen and
> then off again. So I again selected International Ispell as the Client and
> it went back to the Dictionary setting as ISpell Default instead of ASpell
> default and worked perfectly.
>
> I went back to KWord and it was as above I had left it with ASpell default
> as Dictionary and worked without fault.
>
> So it would appear that you have to work round with the KOffice
> applications in Whatever KOffice App/settings/configure/spelling/ and take
> what works, changing things round a bit so that they can look for what is
> needed.
>
> Hope this is not to confusing and helps.
>
> Charlie.

Hello Charlie.

Thanks for your suggestions, and sorry for the delay in replying. Things have
been rather (no, VERY!) hectic here lately, and I haven't had time to do any
further tests.

I have now been able to have another look at it, and the best I can do is to
have the Configuration/KDE/components/Spell checking  set to:

Dictionary: Aspell default
Encoding:  ISO8859-15
Client:  Aspell

and the KWord spell checking set to:

Dictionary: Aspell default
Encoding:  ISO8859-15
Client: International Ispell. (If I change it to Aspell, it immediately goes
back to Ispell).

With these settings, I can spell check and incorrectly spelt words are
corrected.

However! Although American spellings are marked, the dictionary ignores them.
(So, both color and colour are accepted).

It's not perfect, but isn't too bad.

I think I will leave it at this for the time being, as I don't know what else
to try.

If you come up with anything else, I'd like to hear about it.

Many thanks again to you and Anne.

Cheers

Keith