On Friday 12 March 2004 11:26 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:22:43 -0500
>
> JoeHill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Of course, Tom B. is gonna chime in any minute about burning
> > from the CLI...
>
> Well, it just works (tm). But that's simplistic. Any way you
> slice it, if there's an issue with cd burning using cdrecord
> (like input buffer problems) then it's really a hardware issue,
> and maybe an issue with cdrecord, and the GUI is only masking
> that error, or worse, obfuscating the problem, making you think
> there's a problem with xcdroast, or whatever.

     The main problem I have with GUI's is most users don't know
what the GUI's doin, or even what backends it uses.  If people
would learn to burn on the CL first, the GUI's would probly make
more sense to them. Specially when problems are encountered.

    I don't agree "then it's really a hardware issue, and maybe an
issue with cdrecord" for the reason above, and because most all
problems are   User > hardware > software/OS   in that order.

     'Course if a lot of people got thoroughly familiar with the
simplicity and ease of burnin on the CL.... they'd never go back
to usin a GUI as a crutch anyhow ;-)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American