On Saturday 13 March 2004 09:03 am, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:35:33 -0600
>
> Tom Brinkman disseminated the following:
> >      'Course if a lot of people got thoroughly familiar with
> > the simplicity and ease of burnin on the CL.... they'd never
>
> I dunno, Mod4-m-b (opens GCombust with ), click 'data files'
> tab, drag files from ROX filer to GCombust, click burn, and I'm
> done.
>
> The one time I tried doing this:
>
> cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=12 dev=0,0,0 -data
> <files>
>
> I got a coaster.

     Before a data CD can be burned, an image of the files needs
to be created. Just one of the things most all GUI users are not
acquainted with, as that step is hidden from them ... and where
you fsck'd up ;)  You just reinforced that very point I made in a

    I put all the files in a home dir, burn/, making sure I don't
exceed 700mb's. I can also sort them at this time.  Then from my
home dir I run       'mkcdimg burn/', then  'bacd cd_image'
(bash auto completion cuts actual typing way down)

    The 'mkcdimg' step will also report if corrupt files are
present, not suitable for inclusion in the image. That's the main
reason I don't combine the two steps into one as a GUI does.
Another point I've previously made ;>

    Never a coaster, and  I can do all that before most GUI users
can get the GUI started and setup, much less actually burn the
CDr.  Plus I know, usin the CL, exactly what's being done (and
what's not ;)

alias mkcdimg='mkisofs -r -o cd_image'

alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=32
dev=ATA:3,1,0 -data'

   'bdcd' is kernel 2.6.x specific as to dev= for IDE drives. I
suspect this is gonna be a confusion for many GUI's and GUI users
when 2.6 kernels are prevalent.    .... Another point ;>
  -data is redundant as that's cdrecord's default.  I put it in
anyhow  (see 'man cdrecord').

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American