On Saturday 20 March 2004 11:40 am, Margot wrote:
> > I can confirm M10-Community-download-CD1 is BROKEN.
> > Mine will not boot either, though I must be cautious here,
> > my CD was burnt from failed md5sum iso in order to test
> > for the problem. I've still got to download an effective
> > CD1 iso yet.
> >
> > John
>
> Spent the afternoon installing 10 - the CD1 worked fine for me,
> so is not totally broken!
>
> Margot

     Like the 9.2 LG cdrom deal, It's not Mandrake that's broken,
it's some CD drives that aren't quite right.  Not checking the
md5sum of the iso, and then also from the burned CDr also
contributes to the problem.  It's also not clear to me if people
who experience this problem have tried booting CD1 from both
their CDrom and CD-RW drives.  From the CD-RW would be the
preferred IMO, and from a CDr, not cd-rw media.

     When the problem first surfaced, I tried both my DVDrom
(Teac) and burner (Plextor). Both booted CD1 with no problem. The
real problem is not enough users (and their varied hardware) to
test before problems like this get out into the community.
Cooker'rs share the blame as many like myself, just use urpmi to
update, and don't test each installer (beta's and RC's). OTOH,
the problem is exacerbated, as many cooker'rs run quality custom
built systems that are known to themselves to be Linux
compatible.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American