On Sunday 21 March 2004 11:11 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 09:53 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >      Like the 9.2 LG cdrom deal, It's not Mandrake that's
> > broken, it's some CD drives that aren't quite right.  Not
> > checking the md5sum of the iso, and then also from the burned
> > CDr also contributes to the problem.  It's also not clear to
> > me if people who experience this problem have tried booting
> > CD1 from both their CDrom and CD-RW drives.  From the CD-RW
> > would be the preferred IMO, and from a CDr, not cd-rw media.
>
> Well, I burned the CD on my Plextor PX-708a.  I tried to boot
> CD1 from that same drive and it would not boot.  CD2 does.  I
> confirmed the md5 and the sums match reported values.  The same
> Mandrake CD1 will boot from an older CD-ROM drive.  My Plextor
> DVD Burner would probably not fall into the realm of cheap
> hardware.  So, I don't think that this is totally md5 sum or
> improper burning related.  I suspect that there is some minor
> anomaly in the iso image that is being spotted by newer or
> better CD devices but ignored by older ones.

    OK, then you probly need to look at the motherboard and what
controller it's usin to run the CD drive(s).  Also the bios.
Also, it's more important to check the md5sum of the burned CDr,
than it is to check the d/l'd iso. 'Course both should be checked
and must agree.

    It's sort'a academic now tho, Warly's found a work-around

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American