On Sunday 21 March 2004 10:11, Bryan Phinney wrote:

> Well, I burned the CD on my Plextor PX-708a.  I tried to boot CD1 from that
> same drive and it would not boot.  CD2 does.  I confirmed the md5 and the
> sums match reported values.  The same Mandrake CD1 will boot from an older
> CD-ROM drive.  My Plextor DVD Burner would probably not fall into the realm
> of cheap hardware.  So, I don't think that this is totally md5 sum or
> improper burning related.  I suspect that there is some minor anomaly in
> the iso image that is being spotted by newer or better CD devices but
> ignored by older ones.

Warly indicated on the cooker ML that some drives seemed to be having problems
reading the boot catalog when it was located in sector 929.  That held true
for me on my Plextor.  Other locations booted fine.

Glenn

--
10:19:21 up 23:57, running Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Community) for i586,
kernel 2.6.3-4mdk

The degree of technical confidence is inversely proportional to the
level of management.