On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 07:06, Ian MacGregor wrote:
> "So, let's all just stick with Windows and *CONTINUE* to pay for what would
> otherwise be free with Linux"
>  That is the dumbest concept I have ever heard. Can't believe a human being
> actually thinks that way. I would much rather switch to something, knowing I
> lost money, if it would keep me from losing *more* money, than stay where I
> am and, knowingly, *continue* to throw lose away.

Consider that there are folks in corporate positions that fear new
things; and fear change. They don't think "outside the box" and
therefore are enslaved to the thinking that Microsoft has instilled in
them. It's basically the same as about ten years ago having desktop
users switch from OS/2 to Windows - just a matter of time and just a
matter of "awakening"; believe me, there are more folks in management
that are thinking about TCO with Windows - the IT costs for dealing with
support issues and viruses/trojans/back doors/spyware/adware, the costs
of licensing, the bi-yearly costs of upgrading Office - that balanced
against "training" doesn't come out very well - and the true TCO of a
Windows network begins to rear it's ugly head.

For all the FUD that M$ spreads about linux having a higher TCO in the
end, well, they fail to mention those other hidden costs in having to
run and maintain a Windows based network...

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a
hero ... must drink brandy. -- Samuel Johnson