On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:40:13 -0400
JoeHill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You bring up a good point. Xandros, Libranet, Mandrake, all the 'not
> free as in beer' distros, trumpet their ease of use, including their
> support for

At least in the case of Mandrake, much of that stuff is in plf for
obvious reasons, and sooner or later there is going to be suse-specific
equivalents of plf stuff. It's only a matter of time.

I'm all for open standards, but the problem is that much of the content
providers on the Internet have locked into the proprietary technology
and this makes things very difficult for us, even should we attempt to
make use of it on a GPL platform. (At least this *seems* seamless on a
Windows platform -- case in point, my brother's other system (which runs
windows) -- I was over there the other day, doing routine maintenance
and such, connected to my home Linux box over xvnc. I was looking around
for radio stations and such, noticed that the Realplayer was way out of
date, and so d/l the newer windows version. Looked pretty slick, but I
couldn't get it to open much of anything, so my fallback was to
shoutcast.com for the night :).

Realistically speaking, Windows isn't any better of a platform for doing
certain tasks of a proprietary nature, such as copying or encoding DVDs.
It may just seem easier because it's a monolithic program as opposed to
a bunch of utilities. But the legal thing still seems to be present,
otherwise we wouldn't have to see boatloads of spam supporting something
being the only "legal" dvd copying program around.