On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:27:57 -0700
Aron Smith disseminated the following:

> > You bring up a good point. Xandros, Libranet, Mandrake, all the 'not free
> > as in beer' distros, trumpet their ease of use, including their support for
> > proprietary formats like RealOne, Flash, etc. and proprietary software like
> > MS Office and such.
> >
> > Should GNU/Linux even be heading down that path? Esp when there are
> > perfectly useable open formats and standards that could be promoted? Next
> > thing you know you have a distro like Suse, which apparently now installs
> > without any way to play DVD's, telling the user that it's somehow not
> > 'legal' to play DVD's on Linux, yer supposed to buy into some 'licensed'
> > software. Linux starts implementing DRM and such, and I'm off to FreeBSD,
> > man.
> >
> > As RMS put it:
> >
> > "A non-free program is a predatory social system that keeps people in a
> > state of domination and division, and uses the spoils to dominate more. It
> > may seem like a profitable option to become one of the emperor's
> > lieutenants, but ultimately the ethical thing to do is to resist the system
> > and put an end to it."
> I just want a Portable jukebox that works with my linux boxen.
> i think that the manufacturers or being very *Stupid* to cut off
> a market that is growing every day. A good example of rectral-cranial
> Inversion is a lot of radio stations are using streamaudio which only works
> with the windows media player and internet explorer. Stupid Stupid Stipid

One notable exception, comes in perfectly with just the basic RealPlayer:

http://www.airamericaradio.com/

...bunch of lefties, must be smarter than the...er...others.  :-D

But ya, didn't someone point out on here the iRiver player will support OGG and
works well with Linux?

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.orderinchaos.org
19:08:00 up 22 days, 4:08, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.35, 0.32