No you don't need Windows to use wine now.  I think when wine was first
emerging you needed a copy of Win3.1 on your system.  That was before they
even started working on 32-bit API's.  I remember reading this in one of
those free computer papers they have in Toronto, when I lived in Canada last
year.  Hope all you Ontarians out there are keeping warm ;-)

Aaron