Caught me out too only the other night !

When i saw the MANDRAKE_PARTC etc, i assumed i had to set environment
variables of these names pointing to where i really wanted them to be, but
still no luck.

Turns out substituting the text for the real paths (as root) in
'/etc/wine.conf' or '~/.winerc' (make a copy of /etc/wine.conf called that)
if you want per user configuration.

Typical paths might be :

For 'MANDRAKE_FLOPPY' substitute '/dev/fd0'
For 'MANDRAKE_PARTC' i used '/win' (as that's where my windows dir is
mounted).

Follow this through to the end of the file (there's a couple more in there
somewhere) and you should get things working.

This _MAY_ not be how it's meant to be, but it certainly worked for me.

Martin.
PS: Again, i may be wrong, but i think you _MUST_ specify a program to run.
Try 'wine notepad' as a starting point as that one's worked for eons.