On Friday 28 May 2004 5:34 pm, Drew Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I need some tech help.
> A friend of mine has had her Windows XP Laptop trashed by a number of
> viri and Trojans a so called friend sent her.They have smashed her
> Firewall,and killed her AV scanner.The effect is she can no longer
> boot up at all. Is there any way I can boot up her PC using MKD Move
> or Knoppix,and copy over the files on the machine,to my MDK only
> PC,so I can clean them and save them to disc?If the worse comes to
> the worse,would be possible to connect a USB printer and print them
> off?Does Ark do spilt Zip files over multiple floppies?Because that
> maybe an other answer to the problem.
>     My PC has USB ports and a network card,I would prefer to use the
> USB,because I use the NIC to connect to the net using a cable
> modem.and I dont want to naff up MAC address for it.
>                                          Drew

I should work fine.

Assuming that DHCP is done on the modem:
Get a cheap ethernet hub, disconnect the modem from the outside world
and plug both machines and the modem into the hub. Boot knoppix.

If DHCP is done by the ISP:
Get your machine up and running on the internet. Find it's IP address
with ifconfig. Disconnect it from the modem and connect both machines
to each other with a hub or cross-over ethernet lead. Boot knoppix on
the failed machine and set its IP address to one on the same subnet as
your machine. eg if your address is 192.168.1.1 choose 192.168.1.2.

Using the USB is possible, but I don't know how and it probably requires
more arcane fiddling.

BTW, the MAC address is fixed in ROM on your NIC, and is eight bytes
long, usually shown with colon separators. The IP address is the one
you can foul up; it is four bytes separated by periods.

--
Richard Urwin