On Friday 28 May 2004 18:34, Drew Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I need some tech help.
> A friend of mine has had her Windows XP Laptop trashed by a
> number of viri and Trojans a so called friend sent her.They have
> smashed her Firewall,and killed her AV scanner.The effect is she
> can no longer boot up at all. Is there any way I can boot up her
> PC using MKD Move or Knoppix,and copy over the files on the
> machine,to my MDK only PC,so I can clean them and save them to
> disc?If the worse comes to the worse,would be possible to connect
> a USB printer and print them off?Does Ark do spilt Zip files over
> multiple floppies?Because that maybe an other answer to the
> problem. My PC has USB ports and a network card,I would prefer to
> use the USB,because I use the NIC to connect to the net using a
> cable modem.and I dont want to naff up MAC address for it.
>                                          Drew

Maybe I'm a little too simplistic here, but if there is enough space
on her laptop, you could try to install - at least a minimal -
Mandrake on it. I think it is possible to "shrink" even a NTFS
partition. And if your friend did what my daughter did, namely
bought her laptop with WinddowsXP pre-installed, chances are that
there is an extra "restore" FAT32 partition (in M$ palor : D-drive)
on it. If so, you can safely let Mandrake shrink that partition
and then install a minimal Mandrake on the remaining space. From
there, you could burn (it has a burner, right?) the personal files
to CD. Finally, reinstall the WinXP, or dump it altogether.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer *
       * http://www.haulrich.net *