On Friday 28 May 2004 20:15, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 04:05, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Maybe I'm a little too simplistic here, but if there is enough
> > space on her laptop, you could try to install - at least a
> > minimal - Mandrake on it. I think it is possible to "shrink"
> > even a NTFS partition. And if your friend did what my daughter
> > did, namely bought her laptop with WinddowsXP pre-installed,
> > chances are that there is an extra "restore" FAT32 partition
> > (in M$ palor : D-drive) on it. If so, you can safely let
> > Mandrake shrink that partition and then install a minimal
> > Mandrake on the remaining space. From there, you could burn (it
> > has a burner, right?) the personal files to CD. Finally,
> > reinstall the WinXP, or dump it altogether.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> Kaj, TOO MUCH WORK.
> K.I.S.S.
> Keep it simple, stupid
> (g)
>
> Use Knoppix to boot, connect to a network, copy the data to a
> machine on the network, then blow it out completely.
> Safer than trying to resize a partition, eh?

Abslutely right, Stephen. That is, if you have access to a server
with sufficient space. And sufficient bandwith. Let us assume that
our friend has, say 1 GB of data, then what ?

And, if I remember correctly, you recently complained about dial-up
as the only option down under, right ???

:-;

Kaj Haulrich.
--
* Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer *
       * http://www.haulrich.net *