On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 02:34, Drew Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I need some tech help.
> A friend of mine has had her Windows XP Laptop trashed by a number of viri and
> Trojans a so called friend sent her.They have smashed her Firewall,and killed
> her AV scanner.The effect is she can no longer boot up at all.
>       Is there any way I can boot up her PC using MKD Move or Knoppix,and copy
> over the files on the machine,to my MDK only PC,so I can clean them and save
> them to disc?If the worse comes to the worse,would be possible to connect a
> USB printer and print them off?Does Ark do spilt Zip files over multiple
> floppies?Because that maybe an other answer to the problem.
>     My PC has USB ports and a network card,I would prefer to use the
> USB,because I use the NIC to connect to the net using a cable modem.and I
> dont want to naff up MAC address for it.

Yet another reason to have a Knoppix disk around!

I use my Knoppix disk for just such reasons; I boot the customer's
machine with it, reconfigure the networking stuff, use LinNeighborhood
to connect to my domain and server, copy off the customer's data, then
very nicely use my MDK 9.1 disk (in rescue mode) to wipe out the HD so
that I can cleanly RE-create and format the partition for a re-install.

Aside from that, depending on the partitions format (NTFS or VFAT32) you
could use the Knoppix disk to locate the bugs and delete them - but
that's heaps of work; better to just re-install.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
If you can't be good, be careful. If you can't be careful, give me a
call.