On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 04:05, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Maybe I'm a little too simplistic here, but if there is enough space
> on her laptop, you could try to install - at least a minimal -
> Mandrake on it. I think it is possible to "shrink" even a NTFS
> partition. And if your friend did what my daughter did, namely
> bought her laptop with WinddowsXP pre-installed, chances are that
> there is an extra "restore" FAT32 partition (in M$ palor : D-drive)
> on it. If so, you can safely let Mandrake shrink that partition
> and then install a minimal Mandrake on the remaining space. From
> there, you could burn (it has a burner, right?) the personal files
> to CD. Finally, reinstall the WinXP, or dump it altogether.
>
> HTH
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

Kaj, TOO MUCH WORK.
K.I.S.S.
Keep it simple, stupid
(g)

Use Knoppix to boot, connect to a network, copy the data to a machine on
the network, then blow it out completely.
Safer than trying to resize a partition, eh?

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
do and always a clever thing to say. -- Will Durant