On Sunday 06 June 2004 00:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

> > > Thanks a lot. Actually I played a bit with that. However, I got a
> > > Home Theatre, and one of the lights of the amplifier blinks
> > > whenever the sound card is not active. In that way I know that it
> > > is not just a matter of not enough volume and such. Thanks for
> > > the feedback.
> >
> > Is your amplifier connected to the soundcard with a digital S/PDIF
> > cable (optical or coaxial)?
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> >     -Frans
>
> I do not really know, but I would say it's coaxial, otherwise I would
> have Cambridge (the make of the Home Theatre) boasting of optical
> connections in the manual, etc.
>
> Teilhard.

You said earlier: "My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Platinum 5.1." Here is a link:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=572 . It says:
.... Take advantage of the digital connection to Cambridge SoundWorks
DeskTop Theaterâ 5.1 DTT3500 Digital speakers and the analog connection
to Dolby Digital-ready home theater systems ....
You should be able to see whether your cards digital or analog output is
used by consulting the cards manual and checking to which connector the
cable to the amplifier is connected. I think you use the digital output
and the blinking light on the amplifier means it's not getting a
(recognised) signal. In alsamixer digital input and output is labeled
IEC958.

HTH,

    -Frans