Hi BJ.

In my opinion the size of each partition are given
acord the use you intent to give and of course the
size of youre disk.  i.e.

if you have let's say a 80 Gb Hdd. then if youre
computer is just for personal usage... the Mandrake
Linux Normal instalation will use a partition named
"/" wich is the root of the operative system... (don't
get confused about the root user, that's another
thing).  so into this partition can be alocated all
the other directories that the system needs like
"home", "var", "usr" "tmp".  But the main reason to
create partitions for this directories is to limit the
size of each  one to an especific maximun size.  .i.e.

/  = 20 GB
/Home = 40 GB  (because is the home of each user and
have to hold the user's documents like music, imgs,
etc.)
/swap = recomended 2x RAM Memory, let's say you have a
512 DDRAM dim, so create a 1 GB swap partition.

/tmp  = 5 GB 's

and that's all ... there are no especific size or
directive that any of the prior directories must be
partitions on youre hard drive, but is easier to
mantain in case of dissasters or even back up
operations.   i.e.

If for any reason you have to reinstall youre Linux
box and you created separated partitions to hold "/"
and "/home" then you just have to format the "/"
partition and youre documents will be safe on the
other partition and ready to use after youre
instalation.

Cdrack.