On Friday 27 August 2004 16:22, BJ Tracy wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:58 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> Snip
> Thanks Hoyt,  I'm still a little confused.  By reading your
> partitions you have one large hard drive.  I have Three (3) and one
> is working great.
Yes one 120GB.

> > > Here is what I have then I will ask for advice / help.
> > > My new hard drive has   /   swap and   /home on it.
>
> Snip
> Did you use DiskDrake to partition your hard drive??  The options
> /backup and /music are not in my options OR can I call them anything
> I want and assign them to /part 1 thru 12 as needed ???
You can forget about them if you want they are what I use and your
drives should reflect your use.  And yes I used Diskdrake(mount point)
during the installation to paritition the drive which will allow you to
do all three of your drives just remember to format all drives and all
partitions, (also you will have an option to check for bad blocks.
This takes about an hour for my drive) but if you dont know or have
some reason to suspect any drive its a good idea.  Also IIRC you are
not limited to 12 partitions I seem to remember 24 per extended
partition(could be incorrect).

> > > My question is:  If I go into Mount Points and go to each hard
> > > drive and choose the partition size and define it what should
> > > they be ?
Anything you want them to be misc1, misc2, keep1, keep2, in my case I
used backup. You can see in mount point the directories that the system
wants after you use all of them it dosent matter as long as you define
them they will be mounted.

>  /var ??  another /home ? ?..... just what I'm not sure.  I have all
> this space and it's not showing up usable.
> Snip
>    ? ?  Do I need a swap on all three drives ? ?
No although I have been advised by some to put a swap at the beginning
and at the end of the partitions.

> > > I have gone thru all my books and the net and nothing really
> > > talks about multiple hard drives.
>
> There is really nothing out there for multiple hard drives.
> Snip
>
> > > I'm really confused now on what to do.
> > > Thanks for all your help in advance,
> > > bj
>
> Snip
> This is helpful .  Do you have just one large hard drive ?
Yes.

--
Regards:
Hoyt