Asa Rossoff wrote:

When I boot, I select Win ME in LiLo, then I get a boot failure message (something along the lines of invalid boot disk, please replace and hit any key to retry- looks like it's BIOS initiated.)

Swop the drives over, and it will boot into ME fine, so the OS is intact etc.

Any Ideas?? or am I just hoping for too much? :-(

JRH

Windows expects to boot from the first drive in the system (which it will always call C:). I believe there are ways to trick it into booting from other drives. I haven't tried it. Smart Boot Manager can do this by (I think) having the bios report the drives in a swapped fashion. SBM is at http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

Right as well as wrong.
First of all, the Bios always searches the first IDE drive for the boot-sector and simple executes it and whatever bootmanager is on there, it will do the rest.
Unless there is an option in the Bios to change bootpriority for IDE drives, you won't be able to change this fact.

Second, Windows boots from the first boot-device, but it can be configured to have it's OS on another drive by altering the MSDOS.INI and in case of WinNT 4.x, 5.x you can alter the BOOT.INI to set the drive and startup-path where the os is stored.
If your bootmanager on the primary IDE drive allows you to boot from the second drive, you can install all of the Windows data on there but in the win9x/ME cases you for sure have to modify the system settings to make it boot properly.

IMHO:Ditch WinME, it's really not worth the trouble, either install '98SE or XP, but Win'98 is currently less vulnerable to virusses these days as most viruses dedicates themselves to NT5.x exploites (XP/2000/2003).