Vincent Voois wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

Unless you have actually tried for yourself, please layoff saying things as if they were fact. As to windows, WinMe ain't so bad once you bash

For the fact that i couldn't run half the shit in WinME due to whatever MS invention was in there makes ME a pretty invaluable Win9X environment. (I still had a lot of DOS applications i wanted to run which ME didn't allow anymore and so were many companies having office tools based upon DOS that did not worked (properly) in ME)
ME supposed to be the stepping stone to NTFS system but it was lacking tools that were very usefull in Win9X and had things that crapped up various software packages. I couldn't even get Adobe Premiere to run in it, neither could i get bug-free hardware drivers for my pinnacle card for ME (as it did not support a load of other new hardware either which was released after Windows ME)

It's a fact that some people like WinME but it's also a fact that WinME was a marketfailure and not only for the reasons i just mentioned.
If it works:Congratulations and have fun, but if considering for a new install: VOID it.
For one thing it was good for was the silent hint that DOS software-support were about to become a thing of the past.

it's face in a bit AND it will run off another HDD without reconfiguring anything AND from a install from Mandrake to boot. Don't believe me: read the following and weep:

If you have only a non-FAT or non-NTFS platform on your primary harddrive, your second harddrive will always become C:\.

But if you have a Windows system on your primary partitions which shares the same FS as the one on your second harddrive...
Generally the msdos.sys holds a line which points to the systemdir. This has never been different, neither in current NT's boot.ini, it's required that the windows system knows where it's systemfolder is, Unless you have no other existing windows environments on your primary harddrive, you will have to configure that and that was my point.

OK. You are teaching me something here but I haven't quite nailed it yet.

Re partitions:]

/dev/hda1   *           1         125     1004031   83  Linux
/dev/hda2             126        2937    22587390   85  Linux extended
/dev/hda3            2938        4434    12024652+  83  Linux
/dev/hda4            4435        4870     3502170    6  FAT16
/dev/hda5             126         250     1004031   83  Linux
/dev/hda6             251        1496    10008463+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7            1497        1559      506016   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda8            1560        2805    10008463+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9            2806        2937     1060258+  83  Linux

and:

/dev/hdb1   *           1        1827    14675346    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdb2            1828        1829       16065   83  Linux
/dev/hdb3            1830        2491     5317515    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hdb5            1830        1841       96358+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb6            1842        1853       96358+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb7            1854        2263     3293293+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb8            2264        2295      257008+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb9            2296        2491     1574338+  83  Linux

Now I'm lost with the "non-FAT' statement. As you can see I have FAT on both HDDs so your reply suggested that I needed to configure things? I do recall that when attempting to update to Mandrake 10 that lilo thought that my FAT partitions were windows OS's but I didn't see this when I went ahead with a clean install. I have fought hard with this partition problem for some time and feel that I might be missing something real simple, so forgive me for persevering. Right now everything runs fine in this regard but the next time I go to update or try something different I can see me getting balder.

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213