Adam Messinger wrote:

I'm on my work PC, and hence don't have access to Linux for confirmation of this, but I think there's a way to solve your problem in Mandrake Control Center.

There should be a "Boot" category, or something similar, that you can click on in MCC. Under this you should find an icon labeled "Boot Loader." Click on this to make configuration changes to LILO or GRUB. I *think* one of the changes you can make is which mount point each OS choice in the list boots. This is probably what you want to change to fix this particular problem.

Disclaimer: I'm not a guru, just a Windows power user trying my hand at something new. Take my advice with a half-shaker of salt and call me in the morning. ;-)

-- Adam

Mark Stosberg wrote:

On 2004-09-01, SnapafunFrank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Now, when I tried to go the update route with Mandrake10, lilo showed
me boot options for partitions that had no OS on them, ie the FAT
partitions. Yet when I did a clean install I didn't strike this
problem?????

I also had a similar experience when helping a friend upgrade to
Mandrake 10.

With 9.2, he was happily dual booting with Windows 95 (98?).
After upgrading to 10.0, selecting the "windows" option produces
a black screen with a blinking cursor.

However, if I go to BIOS and tell it to boot off of the Windows drive
first, Windows boots fine and appears to be undisturbed. I believe he tried switched to grub and got the same result.
Is there any way to make lilo or grub boot Windows again? It's on a
second drive all by itself.
Mark

OK I'm a little behind here but if you are prepared to edit the /etc/lilo.conf file [as su ] then maybe my file contents would help as this works perfectly on my system.

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="windows"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=200
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
   label="linux263"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
   vga=788
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
   label="linuz263NNet"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent nonetworking=yes"
   vga=788
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
   label="linux-nonfb263"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
   label="linux267"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
   vga=788
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz263
   label="failsafe263"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd263.img
   append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
   label="failsafe267"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
   append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
   read-only
other=/dev/hdb1
   label="windows"
   table=/dev/hdb
   map-drive=0x80
      to=0x81
   map-drive=0x81
      to=0x80
image=/boot/vmlinuz267
   label="linux-nonfb267"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
   read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz2422
   label="2422-21"
   root=/dev/hda5
   initrd=/boot/initrd2422.img
   append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
   read-only
image=/boot/memtest-1.11.bin
   label="memtest-1.11"
   read-only

At present 'windows' is the default for Jan's sake but this works well with windows on the slave HDD.

Don't forget to issue :

# /sbin/lilo

when you are done and correct any errors before you log out.

PS. Ignore the ' linuz263NNet ' label as I have yet to get this working the way I want.

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213