On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 04:42, SnapafunFrank wrote:

> Hmmm..... First I had WinMe then using Mandrake9.1 I was able to
> repartiton the HDD for dual booting. Having got 9.1 settled I had to
> make a choice, dump WinMe and use the space for Linux storage or start
> again with another HDD. I still needed windows for autocad at the very
> least so went with another HDD. I used Mandrake 9.2 to install then
> partition some of the partitions you see on hda today, and I included a
> FAT partition for file sharing. NB here that I had simply relegated the
> windows HDD to slave without doing any configuring of anything. I had
> great problems when I tried to update to Mandrake 10.... it never really
> took, so I back-up'ed and went for the clean install.

This is not at all an unusual experience.

> Using the
> installation tools I further split up hda and though everything works
> fine my first confusion started with the number of partitions now
> available to me. My understanding was a max of 4 primary with one being
> further split to 4 logical, a total of 7 usable partition less one for
> swap.

There are three types of partitions, primary, extended and logical.
There are numerous filesystem subtypes but the three partition types
always remain the same.

The number of primary partitions slots is always four.  An extended
partition always takes up a primary partition slot.  Since the number of
primary partitions is greatly limited, and since Linux works perfectly
with logical partitions(while needing more *total* partitions than
dumber os's, which typically only need one), it's better to put mdk
installs inside extended partitions on logicals and keep the primaries
for your winblows stuff.

You can have a maximum of 12 logical partitions inside any single
extended partition before fdisk barfs.  Linux does not need a primary
partition, and I have seen linux primary partitions get hosed during
winblows installs.  On the other hand I have never seen a linux
installation get hosed if all it's partitions were logical on a dual
boot box.

> My table shows that, but it is frustrating when the tools
> mentioned earlier suggested I could have more. Now, when I tried to go
> the update route with Mandrake10, lilo showed me boot options for
> partitions that had no OS on them, ie the FAT partitions.
>  Yet when I did a clean install I didn't strike this problem?????

That's not really a problem.  Why would you think that it was?

MDK doesn't scan for the OS files, it just types the partition and makes
the assumption that it is bootable.  I don't really see any use in MDK
scanning for other operating system files beyond partition level boot
related stuff; that's way outside it's venue AFAIAC.

>  I am missing something
> here because all the info and help I see out there suggests that I
> should have seen the same problem even with a clean install.

If this is what I think you are talking about then yes you would and no
it's not really a problem, unless I don't understand what the problem
really is.

Just for clarification, what is it that you perceive as the problem?

Anyway, here is a good layout example.  I posted another contribution on
this earlier in this thread, I helpfully suggest that you check it out.
In the meantime for convenience, here is a one drive layout:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] elx]# fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 160.2 GB, 160226334720 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19478 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *         1      4462  35840983+  85  Linux extended
> /dev/sda5             1         6     48132   83  Linux
> /dev/sda6             7        93    698796   83  Linux
> /dev/sda7            94       160    538146   82  Linux swap
> /dev/sda8           161       307   1180746   83  Linux
> /dev/sda9           308       902   4779306   83  Linux
> /dev/sda10          903      4462  28595668+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2   *      4463      7961  28113718+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda3          7962     19478  92510302+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
>
> sda5 = boot
> sda6 = root
> sda7 = swap
> sda8 = tmp
> sda9 = usr
> sda10 = var
>
> Boot-root are "special" cases, don't take up much room, and therefore
> have a minimal impact on the prime real estate at the drive spindle; and
> boot speed is my main reason for putting them there, besides there being
> an old under-the-1024 cylinder OS boot rule that I still subconsiously
> respect for some reason.  Swap is first in line to take advantage of
> spindle real estate; followed by /tmp. You definitely want swap to have
> the best seat in the house, with /tmp following a close second.
> Generally you want to put partitions that have the shortest file
> lifetimes closer to the spindle and partitions that have files with the
> longest file lifetimes out towards the edge of the platter.  /usr has
> long file lifetimes and thus as you see above is an exception to the
> latter speed rule, but I put it where it is for reasons of program load
> speed.

The above could easily be adapted to a two drive layout.  The rest of
this is in the other submission.

LX