Stephen Kühn wrote:

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 20:17, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 05:58, Amy wrote:

Hey everyone!

Anyhow, thanks for all the help you've given me thus far, and thanks in advance for putting up with me as I start off on this adventure of bringing my technologically inept father out of the evil embrace of windows. ^_^

Amy

Very good.  We stand ready to help!

LX

I'm sitting in front of an XP Home SP2 box right now - it's borked
beyond anything other than backing it up, and reloading it. On top of
that, the client installed "Norton Internet Security" - which, together
with SP2, caused this thing to go south faster than a speeding penquin.
To top it all off, it's a "Packard-Bell" machine.

Packard Bell AKA Packard Hell, there is not any harder pain in the ass you can mention than Packard Bell. It's even harder to install Linux on it.

I never ceases to amaze me the crap that the public THINKS is a viable
desktop, a viable operating system. Once SP2 was carefully removed (for
testing purposes) the machine was snappy (even though it's a rather low
end, 128mb box). What is Microsoft doing? Do they realise that the next

What do you expect from XP when your box only has 128MB, it's the minimum, but don't expect XP to run godspeed on such a limited box.

year they're going to see even more converts over to non-Microsoft OS's
just because of the fact that they can't get anything straight or
anything fixed in the first place?

XP is good for a stand-alone game-box and DTP box. For the Internet and server purposes i would recon Linux.