On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:45:39 +0200
Vincent Voois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Packard Bell AKA Packard Hell, there is not any harder pain in the ass you can
> mention than Packard Bell.
> It's even harder to install Linux on it.

Long time ago, I had one of those things. 386sx it was, purchased from Montgomery
Wards. I did manage to install linux but that was the early days and I didn't have
much in the way of modern hardware -- I needed to get a real monitor and a better
video card to run X at anywhere near acceptable levels. It otherwise worked fine even
in 4 megs of RAM - this was back in the SLS days :). Of course, even with text
terminals and 4 megs of ram (later upgraded to 8 megs -- woohoo) it just kicked a$$
and ran rings around Windows (3.1) and Desqview. For instance, I couldn't run my HST
modem at high speed in 3.1 but could in Linux :). On the downside, there were some bad
design issues with the thing (f.e., uarts soldered on the motherboard) and early on
developed a problem with the floppies. Since it was still under warranty, I opted for
factory service, which turned out to be a three month wait.