PM wrote:

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 18:35, John Richard Smith wrote:

Much has been written on this thread about,

Speedtouch 330 USB DSL modem
Netgear DM602 router/modem

but a preliminary search on some uk suppliers this afternoon suggests the Netgear DM602 router/modem is no longer available here in the uk.

The model most often suggested is the,

NETGEAR DG834 ADSL Firewall £52.17 £61.30 inc VAT
Product Information

<SNIP

Anyone got any experience with this model ?
Does work well ?

See http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1291

Interesting !

one report in that review said,

"I have had one problem: every time my ISP renewed my IP address, the router failed to reconnect automaticaly and had to do it manually.It was really annoying since I am running a website behind the router, and this handicap compromised its stability.It turned out to be a firmware bug which was resolved after installing 1.03.07 firmware".

Also,

"A feature I miss is the SNMP support.There is no SNMP support at present for the DG834 nor it is previsted for the forthcoming firmware".

What pray is SNMP support ?
and is that important?

I also note that DHCP can be turned off, if that should ever be important, cannot think when that would be,but maybe there are times when you need to do that.

John