On Friday 03 September 2004 05:14 am, Margot wrote:

>>> lotsa snipping

> I need to develop some hardware expertise. I've signed up with the
> local Adult Education Centre for 2 short courses designed for
> hardware 'newbies' - one on PC Upgrade and one on Home Networking.

Good plan.

> By December, I should at least be 'mentally' competent with a
> screwdriver, and if I can't manage the physical side, at least I'll
> have met some local people who may be able to help!

Screwdrivers aren't all that complex. There are two basic kinds: Flat blade
and Phillips. (Electrical engineers sometimes refer to them as postive and
negative.) Shiny end towards the fastener. Clockwise to tighten,
counterclockwise to loosen. Hell, even my son has mastered the skill, and his
degree is in history. Also read up on nut drivers -- kinda like screwdrivers
but fit hex headed fasteners. Very useful for PC assembly.

> Can anyone recommend any books or online resources on hardware? VERY
> basic level please - along the lines of 'how not to ruin a perfectly
> good computer by sticking a screwdriver in the wrong place'!

I recommend "PC Hardware in a Nutshell' by Robert Bruce Thompson and Barbara
Fritchman Thompson; published by O'Reilly (www.oreilly.com). It's the only
user-level hardware reference that focuses more on Linux than Windows. Well
written and illustrated, and reasonably up-to-date.

> Many thanks to all who have helped steer me in the right direction -
> I don't know what I'd do without this list !
>
> Margot

-- cmg