On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:17, Merlin Zener wrote:

<snip -replies within>
> I'll paste the results of "locate"ing those filenames to the end
> of this email. As far as I can tell, the most obvious problems
> are: my glibc is 2.1.3 or 2.1.9, not 2.2.4
> fontconfig seems to be missing...

That's definitely a problem.

> the hardware reqs shouldn't be any problem: iirc it's a Celeron
> 2.0G with 512M ram.
>
> So should I try and find, download and install fontconfig from
> somewhere? [...wondering what I'll need to have for that, and
> then what I'll need for the next thing...]

On my system it is fontconfig-2.2.1-7mdk, Try (as root) :
urpmi fontconfig

> Come to think of it, I wonder if it's possibly more productive to
> address the original problem - my Mozilla is still crashing on
> certain pages that used to load just fine before. What could
> cause it? How could I fix it? Could I have been hacked in some
> way? How would I tell?

If my memory serves me well, your system (or was it Mozilla) is
quite old.  If you want to continue using it, try the following :
In your home/merlin direcory, rename the entire /.mozilla directory
to i.e. /.old_mozilla.  Then log out and back in, restart Mozilla.
If it worked earlier, this procedure should reload default
settings. If it works now, you can always copy back your mail and
whatnot.

I don't think you're hacked.  But try running (as root) chkrootkit.

> Do you think it would be easier to try and continue installing
> Firefox or fix Mozilla?

Why not upgrade your entire system to 10.0 ? - I understand you're
on dial-up so downloading it is out of the question.  But you can
get very cheap CDs from a lot of places , like here :

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070011031.html
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/general/#pid16904
http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=L000-215&id=C1CBDkfPqzGCL

Considering all your problems, I think it is worth it.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *