On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 15:46, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:17, Merlin Zener wrote:
>
> <snip -replies within>
>
> > fontconfig seems to be missing...
>
> That's definitely a problem.
>
> [...snip again]
> > So should I try and find, download and install fontconfig from
> > somewhere? [...wondering what I'll need to have for that, and
> > then what I'll need for the next thing...]
>
> On my system it is fontconfig-2.2.1-7mdk, Try (as root) :
> urpmi fontconfig

that didn't work either. At this stage I'm not the slightest bit
surprised! :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]$ su
Password:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]# urpmi fontconfig
no package named fontconfig
[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]#

> [...snip again - I'll try shuffling around Mozilla directories later tonight]
>
> If my memory serves me well, your system (or was it Mozilla) is
> quite old.  If you want to continue using it, try the following :
> In your home/merlin direcory, rename the entire /.mozilla directory
> to i.e. /.old_mozilla.  Then log out and back in, restart Mozilla.
> If it worked earlier, this procedure should reload default
> settings. If it works now, you can always copy back your mail and
> whatnot.
>
> I don't think you're hacked.  But try running (as root) chkrootkit.

hmmmmmmm......
[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]# chkrootkit
bash: chkrootkit: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]#

> > Do you think it would be easier to try and continue installing
> > Firefox or fix Mozilla?
>
> Why not upgrade your entire system to 10.0 ? - I understand you're
> on dial-up so downloading it is out of the question.  But you can
> get very cheap CDs from a lot of places , like here :
>
> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070011031.html
> http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/general/#pid16904
> http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=L000-215&id=C1CBDkfPqzGCL
>
> Considering all your problems, I think it is worth it.

thanks once again for all your comments and advice, Kaj.
I might try to get time to go to Bangkok on Sunday. I know I can get as
many copies of XP as I like for 80 baht a CD there, I don't know if they
sell any Mandrake stuff...
LOL

--
Merlin Zener