On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 04:58, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 19:34, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > >I don't use Mozilla for mail [I use Evolution] so I'm not worried about
> > >that. But how do I get all my bookmarks and passwords and history back?
> > >
> > [...snip again]
> > Sorry. I'm late to this thread so forgive me if this has already been
> > covered.
> >
> > Do you still have your /home/<username>/.mozilla directory?
> >
> > If so then:
> >
> > $ cd /home/<your_user_name>
> > $ ls -al | grep mozilla
> >
> > Mine is :
> >
> > drwxrwxrwx    4 frank frank     4096 Aug 17 19:58 .mozilla/
> >
> > If you still have this from before any recent re-install of mozilla then:
> >
> > $ mv .mozilla XXX.mozilla
> >
> > This will save all your stuff ready to feed back once you have
> > re-installed mozilla.
> >

> well I did all that [copied and pasted it in exactly] but it made no
> change. How, exactly do I "feed back" my old bookmarks, passwords and
> history?
>
> btw while looking around for some clue I did find my old bookmarks in a
> plain html file in /home/merlin/.old_mozilla - and clicking on those
> links opens up those pages in Konqueror! So at least I can browse most
> places, except for any that require logging in. All my passwords are
> still somewhere in the old Mozilla settings - how do I get them back?

I never saw an answer to this question; I thought it may have been
overlooked as the thread moved more to installing Firefox, [and then
went even further to suggest upgrading the whole system!!!] so I thought
I'd repost it with a more descriptive subject. I hope this is ok:)

I'm looking at upgrading to 10.0 on Sunday, but still this question
applies - either now or after then - I still want to get them back...

To revisit the original thread:
My problem was that Mozilla suddenly started crashing on opening some
pages that I'd been going to for ages with no problems. I had emailed a
couple of them and they had made no changes on their end. Besides, those
pages open ok in Konqueror.
I tried this suggestion:

> rename the entire /.mozilla directory to i.e. /.old_mozilla.  Then log
> out and back in, restart Mozilla.

So now I've lost all my bookmarks, passwords and various other settings
like home page etc, and I don't know how to get them back. Oh and btw it
didn't fix the crashing either :(

help???
:)

--