Merlin Zener wrote:

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 04:58, Merlin Zener wrote:

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 19:34, SnapafunFrank wrote:

[...snip]

I don't use Mozilla for mail [I use Evolution] so I'm not worried about
that. But how do I get all my bookmarks and passwords and history back?

[...snip again]
Sorry. I'm late to this thread so forgive me if this has already been covered.

Do you still have your /home/<username>/.mozilla directory?

If so then:

$ cd /home/<your_user_name>
$ ls -al | grep mozilla

Mine is :

drwxrwxrwx    4 frank frank     4096 Aug 17 19:58 .mozilla/

If you still have this from before any recent re-install of mozilla then:

$ mv .mozilla XXX.mozilla

This will save all your stuff ready to feed back once you have re-installed mozilla.

well I did all that [copied and pasted it in exactly] but it made no
change. How, exactly do I "feed back" my old bookmarks, passwords and
history?

btw while looking around for some clue I did find my old bookmarks in a
plain html file in /home/merlin/.old_mozilla - and clicking on those
links opens up those pages in Konqueror! So at least I can browse most
places, except for any that require logging in. All my passwords are
still somewhere in the old Mozilla settings - how do I get them back?

I never saw an answer to this question; I thought it may have been overlooked as the thread moved more to installing Firefox, [and then went even further to suggest upgrading the whole system!!!] so I thought I'd repost it with a more descriptive subject. I hope this is ok:)

I'm looking at upgrading to 10.0 on Sunday, but still this question
applies - either now or after then - I still want to get them back...

To revisit the original thread:
My problem was that Mozilla suddenly started crashing on opening some
pages that I'd been going to for ages with no problems. I had emailed a
couple of them and they had made no changes on their end. Besides, those
pages open ok in Konqueror.
I tried this suggestion:

rename the entire /.mozilla directory to i.e. /.old_mozilla. Then log
out and back in, restart Mozilla.

So now I've lost all my bookmarks, passwords and various other settings
like home page etc, and I don't know how to get them back. Oh and btw it
didn't fix the crashing either :(

help???
:)

-- Merlin Zener Piano, Synthesizer Thailand.

"...if my calculations are correct..."

I believe that you need to create an account within your new mozilla that will then allow you to 'import' all your old stuff. I'm sure this is mentioned on one of the tutorials I've read.

You might also want to start here: http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html Section7.7 and 7.8 etc.....

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213