Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Friday 21 January 2005 04:13 pm, Julie Sloan wrote:

To satisfy dependencies, the following 556 packages are going
to be installed (1088 MB):

I am on dialup.  22Mb takes an hour and a half.  Do I need 1088
additional Mb??????

It's not 1088 'additional' mb. MOF, it's not even 1088 mb's. 1088 is the installed diskspace required, but since you're updating (replacing) packages, the the difference in disk space used is minimal. Also, 1088 represents the uncompressed size of the packages. Since the rpm's are compressed, your d/l would be roughly 40% of 1088, or 400 to 450 mb's.

Aha, okay. My patient partner sat by while I tied up the phone line for about 90Mb yesterday....

That's still way too much for dialup.

Yes it is. :)

If /home's not on a separate partition now, and you have enough diskspace on a storage partition, just copy your entire /home directory to that partition. Then copy it back in after a re-install of 10.0, overwriting the install /home. This probly isn't practically feasible if your storage area is any type of Windoze file system. It's possible, but much more complicated.

I copied /home to a CD, will reinstall 10.0, and hopefully during the reinstall will set up a storage partition or two. I'm dualbooting WinXP and Mandrake; have the Win on the original harddrive and Mandrake on its own, separate, hd. I can "see" into windoze from Mandrake but cannot write to it.

thanks,
Julie