Paul wrote:
I already set the imapservername in Squirrelmail to the cp4... address.
That helps a little. At least I get a welcome screen from Squirrelmail.
Now it seems that I have to figure out how to add courier-imap to
xinetd to make the 'connection refused' message go away. If someone can
help me there, that would be much appreciated!

Things become interesting. In the Courier-imap I read that couries does
NOT go in xinetd (fine, it is not there anyway) but also /etc/services
should not have entries for port 143 (imap). I #'d them out, restarted
xinetd services but still no joy.
The firewall allows port 143 for both tcp and udp, so that can't be it:

Firewall script:
$iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT
$iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT

iptables -L:
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:143 ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:143

The problem must be something VERY simple...

Paul

/etc/services is just a lookup table for service names and ports. Entries in there do not control what is run. It is used by some programs to check what port to use. That way, you can specify ssh in your filewall configuration, instead of having to specify port 22.

As far as xinetd, what it starts is controlled in 2 places. The first is /etc/einetd.conf, and the second is the /etc/xinetd.d directory. (The directory is included because of an entry in xinetd.conf.) Changes made to /etc/services do not affect what it controlls.

Now, if Courier-imap is a stand-alone daemn, as what you say makes it sound like, then it is controlled by the services and chkconfig commands. It should have a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d that controlls starting and stopping it. If you can access it localy, then it is probably being started. The next problem is that it probably looks at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to see if it should allow outside hosts to connect. It may have an entry in its config file for this, but hosts.allow control is fairly standard. Run "man hosts.allow" for more information on this.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!