From: "Duncan Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Stephen Kühn wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 23:13, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> >

> >>Here's to democracy, EU-style :
> >>
> >>http://wiki.ffii.org/Cons050307En
> >>
> >>In short : The Microsoft puppet-state Luxembourg denied council
> >>members from Poland, Portugal and Denmark their request to change
> >>the Directive on Software Patent from an A-item to a B-item.
> >>
> >>So friends, that was it :  forget about software development in
> >>Europe.
> >>
> >>Kaj Haulrich.
> >>

> >That is completely ridiculous.
> >Hell is going to break loose and there are going to be heaps of very mad
> >folks.
> >
> >I don't think they'll get away with it.
> >

> Huh, this is the kind of dictatorial fascism that Europe is so good at.
> They have proved it over and over again in the past, so why should this
> be any different? Greed rather than justice, for ever!
>
> Bunch of Nazis!

That is an uncalled for aspersion, Duncan. However, I would remark that
Europe has centuries of tradition with autocratic governments. Their
tradition with a voter based government at any level, Republic or outright
Democracy, is rather thin on the ground. Autocracy is the natural form of
government in much of Europe. "Democracy" (starting out as something a bit
different called "Republic") is the basic tradition in the US. The US was
settled by hard working people who were fed up to <gestures> here with the
European autocrats. So we never developed the autocratic tradition. (And
if you look at the behavior of our Senate, in particular, be afraid,
be very afraid. It may be that autocracy is the natural form of government
for homo-sapiens. Look to gorilla packs, bonobo packs, and chimpanzee
packs and ask what form of "governance" they have.) "Bunch of Monkeys"
might be the better aspersion to cast.

{^_^}