On Monday 14 March 2005 16:23, Amy wrote:

> Indeed, my model does not have bluetooth. I would be using the data
> cable to connect it up. Do you have a program you use for things like
> contact book backup, loading pictures on your phone, etc?
>
> Part of the reason I'm asking on the list is that I am having trouble
> getting answers out of Google. I've tried, but my googling skills
> apparently suck and I can't get anything I can make heads or tails of.

I use kdebluetoothd for everything that my phone does.  I have made
connections with the stock Nokia software under Win using my work computer
but the Symbian OS can be used with Linux, just not quite as elegantly.  So,
contacts can be sent and received from the phone using standard .vcf format.
>From KDE Contacts, save one of your contacts in vcf format and you can then
send that to the phone and from there, you can save it as a contact in the
phone.  You can also send from the phone to your computer, again as .vcf and
then import it into KDE.  For pictures, you simply send the picture to your
phone or from your phone and it comes down or goes up as an image.  Same
for .mid files for ringtones, etc. kdebluetooth comes with a file transfer
agent using bluetooth that is very adequate.

None of this is material to you since you don't have bluetooth.  IR works as
well on my phone but I haven't done any IR under Linux since my desktop
machines don't have IR connectors.  I haven't ever used a data cable so I
don't have any info about that, when I went shopping for a phone, I was
specifically after bluetooth for obvious reasons.  However, according to my
reading, your model has very limited PDA functions, so possibly you won't
need to go as far down that path.

Try here:
http://devidal.tv/~chris/nokia_6800/

And, there is a Linux/Win tool called gnokii that is specifically for
connectivity of phones and Nokia 6800 is supposed to be supported.
http://www.gnokii.org/

--
Bryan Phinney