On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 03:00, Philippe Landau wrote:
> hello Rosemary
>
> >  I'm wondering if it's fair to ask this question,
>
> perfectly fitting question :-)
>
> > or to plug on myslef.  I think, though, that if I plug on myself,
> > I will continue going to Win for this function.
> > Camera Sony DSC-W1/W12
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
> nice camera, and officially supports MacOS X so unix/linux.
> you could simplify your task by just
> connecting a (Memory Stick) card reader to your computer.
> your camera support USB 1 and the much faster USB 2.
>
> > according to
> > http://www.johnwyles.com/archives/2004/07/16/sony_dscw1_in_linux.php
> > this camera works.
>
> these are instructions how to work with it using gtkam.
> are libgphoto2, gPhoto2, and gtkam already installed in your system ?
>
> > I have looked at the suggestions by others, but really too new to
> > understand what to do.  Any help really appreciated.
> >
> > If anyone can direct me I'd be grateful.  I have begun reading the
> > various references - just makes me overwhelmed
>
> sure, let's go step by step.
>
> kind regards     philippe

Just took a look at your link which I hadn't seen before - thanks.  Brief
look, as need to go to bed ...

Tried digikakam first because was default programme (using KDE).  Then did as
John Wyles suggested but camera not initalised.  Noticed that for some USB
ports (? correct name) time to indicate lack of initilisation varied.  Not
sure f this is important or not.  But port at back of computer took longer
for message that camera not initialised.  While it did it's thing I began to
get excited it was going to detect the camera!

Thought I could print my output from 'lsmod' but couldn't do the copy and
paste for some reason.
cheers
Rosemary