On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 20:37, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 02:18, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
> > Yes - following  the johnwyles instructions gives me the display on the
> > camera as he describes ie USB connect, PTP.  I've checked and double
> > checked and libphoto2, gphoto2 and gtkam are all installed.
> >
> > When I open gtkam the window display is as johnwyles describes.  I try
> > each USB port, no camera is selected/detected.  So I tried selecting Sony
> > DSC-F707V as per his page.  Try all the ports again, but still get "no
> > cameras detected".
> >
> > As I say, I've read the contributors fixes, but they are for other
> > distribs, and not clear to me anyway.  I had previously tried digikam
> > because it was already installed.
>
> Does HardDrake recognise the camera?  Have you tried booting with it
> plugged in?  (Not that you'd have to do that every time, but it sometimes
> helps to get something recognised in the first place.)  I have often found
> that it helps to run HardDrake after plugging in a removable device, which
> is really what this is.

No HardDrake doesn't recognise it.  Tried booting with camera on and plugged
in - nothing.

> The other problem is that with 10.1 you meet the problem of the floating
> sdx - where the mount point can change its name every time you try it, so
> any mount that's set up will not find the drive.  You may have to use
> HardDrake to see what device name it has, then amend your mount-point to
> match.  A PITB.

Someone suggested a card reader, so I've had a look at them, and found one
recommended for Sony cameras, which is linux compatible.  I've emailed the
company for more specific info.  It is only NZ$30, so would be a worthwhile
purchase.

> Lastly, I'd recommend getting the latest packages for Digikam.  The ones
> with the distro are fairly old, and it sometimes helps.  I'm running
> digikam-0.7.1-1tex.i586.rpm.

I'm downloading now - do I need to uninstall the old packages, or will the new
ones simply install over them?

Thanks
Rosemary