Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
> Computer supports USB, don't whether USB2.  How do I find out?
> So yes I could get a memory card reader,
it should work either way. USB2 should work with USB(1) too.
i just mentioned it because you can choose
if you want a fast or a slow card reader.
how old is your computer or do you know the model name ?

>but wouldn't I still have to set up the USB bit?
if mandrake does not automatically recognise external drives via USB
i hope everybody would switch distribution by now :-)
are you using mandrake 10.1 ?

> Yes I installed after reading the johnwyles page.
> I've checked by trying uprmi which tells me all installed.
>>>I've looked at the various suggestions on his website,
>>>but being a newb, and the various suggestions being
>>>diff distribs, feeeling - as I said - ovewrwhelmed.
>>it might be a problem with mandrake, are you using 10.1 ?
>>sometimes a reboot might help.
> I have rebooted since first attempting to install camera.

>>>Tried digikakam first because was default programme (using KDE).
>>>Then did as John Wyles suggested but camera not initalised.
>>it looks like there can be many problems connecting
>>a digital camera to mandrake.
>>http://www.desktoplinux.com/cgi-bin/board/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Boa

>>rd=distributions&Post=350
> Okay will take a look.
(it was just an example, unfortunately).
everybody here will know better how to help here then me :-)

kind regards     philippe