On Saturday 19 Mar 2005 05:04, Philippe Landau wrote:

> >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
> >>nice camera, and officially supports MacOS X so unix/linux.
> >>you could simplify your task by just
> >>connecting a (Memory Stick) card reader to your computer.
> >>your camera support USB 1 and the much faster USB 2.

Computer supports USB, don't whether USB2.  How do I find out?  So yes I could
get a memory card reader, but wouldn't I still have to set up the USB bit?

> >>these are instructions how to work with it using gtkam.
> >>are libgphoto2, gPhoto2, and gtkam already installed in your system ?

Yes I installed after reading the johnwyles page.  I've checked by trying
uprmi which tells me all installed.

> >>sure, let's go step by step.
> >
> > I have installed libphoto2, gphoto2 and gtkam, as per johnwyles.
> >
> > I've looked at the various suggestions on his website, but being a newb,
> > and the various suggestions being diff distribs, feeeling - as I said -
> > ovewrwhelmed.
>
> it might be a problem with mandrake, are you using 10.1 ?
> sometimes a reboot might help.
> please reply after each paragraph if possible.

I have rebooted since first attempting to install camera.

> > Scanner and camera only things needed in windows.  Scannner not really an
> > issue, as rarely used, but camera used often.  Would be good to get it
> > going.
>
> yes, is using a card reader as described above an option for you ?
>
> > Well - truth is, used to do things in Publisher, which haven't learnt yet
> > - but guess that will come ....  Same with photo apps ...  and making
> > cards etc
>
> this would be interesting in a new thread.

Sorry - rambling ...

> > Just took a look at your link which I hadn't seen before - thanks.  Brief
> > look, as need to go to bed ...
>
> sleep well then :-)
>
> > Tried digikakam first because was default programme (using KDE).  Then
> > did as John Wyles suggested but camera not initalised.
>
> it looks like there can be many problems connecting a digital camera to
> mandrake.
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/cgi-bin/board/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Boa
>rd=distributions&Post=350

Okay will take a look.

> > Noticed that for some USB ports (? correct name)
>
> sure :-)
>
> > time to indicate lack of initilisation varied.  Not
> > sure f this is important or not.  But port at back of computer took
> > longer for message that camera not initialised.  While it did it's thing
> > I began to get excited it was going to detect the camera!
> > Thought I could print my output from 'lsmod' but couldn't do the copy and
> > paste for some reason.
>
> kind regards     philippe

Thanks for your help.

Rosemary