On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, you wrote:

> When you update the kernel you have to put what in lilo so it uses the
> new kernel?

Jeff:
First of all, please lose the HTML. It doesn't work well
for many Linux email clients. Second, you need to take a
look at your current /etc/lilo.conf and basically take that
as your pattern. For example, here's my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

To add a new kernel, you'd take and copy that whole section
under "image" and then paste it immediately above or below
the current "image" section. Then, you'd replace (in the
new section) the "vmlinuz-2.2.5-15" with whatever you've
named your new kernel and you might want to add something
about the default image (sorry...I forget the exact
syntax...I'm sure Axalon or someone can tell you.) But, you
should *always* leave the "old" kernel in place until
you're sure that the "new" kernel works. Several people on
this list have found out the hard way by "upgrading" the
kernel and forgetting to change the lilo.conf or having
some other problem. :-)
        John