On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:24:56 -0600, you wrote:

>At 05:03 PM 12/21/99 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>Hmmmmm....interesting.... My neighbor..who is hardly a computer geek,
>>and not much more experienced with computers than the average user,
>>installed Mandrake with not a problem.  Of course he did several
>>things first.   He actually READ something about the OS first...and he
>>checked the compatibility list.   And he didnt expect someone to hold
>>his hand.  He actually took the time to LEARN....just a bit before
>>installing anything.   He had Mandrake up and running in about half an
>>hour.  He is no geek...but he went in with the idea that he was going
>>to learn something about the OS...both before and afterwards.
>

>Ok Dennis, stop crying. First off, I checked all compatibility lists PRIOR

Oh...on a rant now are we?

>to PURCHASING(READ: bought) Mandrake and ALL of my hardware was listed as

That was YOUR option to do so.  Its a free OS.   Or you could have
ordered a buck and a half disk from LinuxMall.  So dont cry about
buying it.

>compatible. I even took the time to READ(READ: study, learn) about the OS
>first. I even didn't ask for any HELP(READ: handholding) until I had tried
>everything possible within my means of getting info on the subject of my
>video card.

So you had a video problem.  If you are a hardware man, then you know
that despite all the work on drivers, OS's, etc, just the combination
of hardware in any particular computer can cause compatiblity problems
in ANY OS...not just linux.  And video problems are the bane of any
OS.  But those very drivers that you seem to demand that the linux
programmers write, most of whom do it on their own time, by the way,
are actually written by the makers of the many video cards on the
market, not by the OS programmers.

>As far as disparaging geeks, well, I was talking about the following
>elitist asshole attitude you have, which you proved in your rebut to my

Oh my goodness...taken offense have we and now have to resort to
further name calling?  But thank you, anyway.

>message. Be secure in your geekness and get over the geeQue comment...move
>on to other things.

Hmmm...I dont think I am the one displaying an attitude or insecurity
problem here.

>If you think my hand was held and I wanted someone to follow me along all
>of the way, you're sorely mistaken, and it shocks me that you think that

Never said that you did or was.  You seem to be reading things into my
messages that arent there.

>your input is so valuable(READ: EGO) as to make me want you to help me
>along every step. I am not like the original author of the post who was

Never said that either.

>whining, I was just adding some commentary(READ: opinion), and I'm sorry

Ok...so?
Hehehe....but YOUR statement that you were a hardware and OS man was
not a pronouncement of YOUR elitism?  hehehehe

>your free-coding "nail-me-to the cross" attitude got in the way of your

You are making assumptions about things that were never said.

>reply. You are not a martyr sir.

Hehehehe.....