On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Martin Cleaver wrote:

  |  Okay, I downloaded and installed the new kernel I suppose... but it gives me this
cryptic message about changing lilo.conf. Unfortunately it does not tell me WHAT to
change. It may sound silly, but I use Mandrake because I don't WANT to have to change
things like lilo.conf, and if I am to, I will need very precise instructions... :-(

  |  I sound like a newbie, am a newbie and want to remain a newbie... life's too
short... Can anyone help me with the necessary change and also ask the powers that be
to be a little more informative in the future?

  |  Rgds
  |
  |  Martin
  |

  |  --
  |  Martin Cleaver                  MC Translations
  |  +31 (20) 6162224   fax: +31 (20) 8841230
  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             www.cleaver.nl

Martin,

As reguards your newbie status, I am afraid that you will have to get your
hands a little dirty from time to time if you want to add things such as a new
kernel. This is the nature of Linux, and it can not be helped.

If you use KDE, log on as the root user, open a kfm window, and navigate to
the /etc folder. You can drag the left edge of the kfm window to the right to
expose a tree display of your filesystem's folders. If you left-click a
right-pointing arrow, it will become a down-pointing arrow, and any sub-folders
will be displayed. To get to /etc you may need to click the /root (/) arrow to
expand the tree then click the /etc folder icon. In the right display area,
folders will be displayed first then files. Scroll down untill you see the file
lilo.conf, right-click it, and in the pop-up menu, select "Text Editor". This
will open a simple text editor with the lilo.conf file displayed.

You will want to select the entire section labeled "image=" then with this
section still highlighted select "Edit > copy", then move the curser to the
bottom of the file, select "Edit > paste". This will duplicate the image=
section of your lilo.conf file. Now edit the LINE image=/boot/vmlinuz-*mdk to
match the version information for the new kernel - for example if you have
version 2.2.13-7mdk and your updated kernel is version 2.2.13-22mdk, you will
change the line from

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk to
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-22mdk.

You will also need to change the next line label=* to indicate a unique label
name, perhaps "new kernel". You can use any label you wish, but for
practicality's sake, you will want to keep the labels short and sweet. As you
can see, I have edited my lilo.conf file to use "l" for Linux, and "w" for DOS
(Windows 95). When I add a second kernel, I simply use the letter "k" for the
new label (my own preference).

Save the edited file when you are finished, and open a console window. Use the
"su" command to become the superuser (without the quotes), you will need to
provide your root password then. Finally, enter "lilo", (again without the
quotes). This will write the updated information to the boot loader, and you
will then be able to choose either the new kernel or the old one if you wish.
To finish up, enter "su <regular username>" to close the superuser session,
then close the console window.

This procedure sounds more complex that it is, and I told you to add the second
label and such so you could get back into Linux with the old kernel if there
are any problems with the new one. After you have used the new kernel for a few
days or a week or so, if you decide you want to continue using the new kernel
exclusively, you can remove the information in /etc/lilo.conf which addresses
the old kernel, and re-run lilo to write the changes to the boot loader.

Filally, you can remove the files related to the old kernel in the /boot folder
- but be carefull not to remove anything which may be used by the new kernel.
Only those files which contain the old kernel's version number in their names
are safe to remove.

Bear in mind that I am a relative new user too and while this information is
correct to the best of my knowlege, I may be in error or have forgotten
something. Give it a day or two to see if any one else has corrective
information for you, then the next step is up to you.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
linear
timeout=50
other=/dev/hda1
        label=w
        table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-7mdk  -
        label=l                                |
        root=/dev/hda5                    |  image= section - duplicate 5 lines
        append="mem=80M"            |
        read-only                         -

HTH,

Ernie