On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> You will be out of luck with that particular modem.  It is a 'winmodem'
> style and will not work with Linux.  You may want to consider swapping
> it out with an ISA model.  My solution was to hook up an external modem
> to COM1 (/dev/ttys0).  Left my PCI internal in the computer.  I use it
> for Win98 and the external for Linux.  At the price of external 56K
> modems I kind of like my solution over others but you will need to
> decide which is best for you.
>
> Jim

   ... and in case you're like me and can't stand externals (got
enough junk on my desk as it is ;)   A pricewatch.com search of
'hardware modem' turned up over 25 of 'em, $26 to $75.

 Here's the first 2:

Cirrus Logic  56K v.90 Data/Fax Hardware modem   Retail Box
  Includes 1 yr warranty $ 26  $10 ups  12/23/99  5:19:18 PM
                  CST
  Componentsdirect.com  888-426-6766   949-474-7444
-- P.O.'s accepted  CA  CL56ISA

Phoebe   PHOBE Texas Instrument 56K  internal ISA HARDWARE MODEM
  $ 36  12/22/99  10:40:38 AM CST  PC Century    877-902-8899
        732-225-8899   NJ     MDVIR56H

  I've got a Phoebe TI 33.6, work's great, for several years now.
--
..      Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      .