Hi Audrey and Tom,

thank you both so much for your support.
I havn't much to report yet other than I had a quick look over the
suggestions and release notes at the intel site.  I ran the rpm files thru
the kpackage and played around with the xf86config file.  I made a backup
copy then rebooted.  I couldnt get back in as I obviously did something
wrong that the config file didnt like.  So I ended up spending most the
night trying to get back the backup I made of the config file from a command
prompt.  Im so used to dos where I could have just deleted the config file I
did that was not working and renamed the back up back to the original that
was, but I didnt know the commands in linux.  but somehow I managed to run
xf86config from the prompt and entered new options in text mode.  "Phew, I
thought I was going to have to reinstall again!" I managed to get back in
and now the screen does scroll around.  It didnt do that before but I like
it.  The colour depth and resolution is still wrong so Ive still got to try
things again, and probably again....

one other problem Im having is when I boot up.  I have the partition magic
boot kick in to select either windows or linux.  When I select linux from
there I get the lilo prompt which auto continues after 5 seconds.  then I
get some screen like a cmos info and it automatically brings up a login
dialogue box where I can enter user name, password and environment, either
kde or gnome etc.
BUT sometimes the login stops at the cmos info and gives me a login command
prompt.  When I enter my username and password I then get a prompt:
[root@localhost /root]#
what did I do to get this happening and how do I get it back to where it
boot up to the login dialogue box with the drop down box to select the
environment?

regards
Gina