[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This sounds like a pcanywhere type interface threw telnet
> between Linux and windows98.  Is that right?  If so I
> could really use this type of interface.  If it's not, is
> there another piece of software like this?  Is there a site
> to read more or download and try?  I tried the hummingbird
> site but did not get much specifications or info just hype.

As others explained, Exceed gives you a "window" from your PC Windows OS into a
remote Linux/Unix server, like telnet, except a telnet with a full gui.  I
don't know PCAnywhere; therefore, I can't give you any analogies other than
telnet'ing into another machine, with a gui front end.  This tool allows you to
view the directory structure and files of the Linux/Unix server, to
manipulate/modify/move/... files, run applications, compilers, etcetera, like
you'ld be able to do with a telnet terminal, except with a full gui.  The
limitations with respect to what you could and could not do would be defined by
the permissions your login account has, like a user account directly on a
Linux/Unix box.

That should probably do for an explanation of what Exceed is, and several
people have confirmed that it's a good and reliable tool.  Hence, I think that
this should be enough.

If you have any additional specific questions, then ask.  I know or believe
that PCAnywhere is to access remote PCs and if this is true, then there's
probably a fair amount of similarity.

mike