I hope you don't mind me writing off list, but I had a couple of questions that
don't really pertain to Mandrake.
First, after a couple of days, my quake 2 is working correctly - I've been
updating different programs from cooker (since I'm using the beta release) and
must have fixed the problem without knowing.  I guess I can't knock that!
Anyway, to start with, what kind of controller do you use with quake?  I've never
installed a joystick or anything but I can tell after a few minutes with Q2 that
using the keyboard and a trackball is definitly NOT for me!  I'll ask my next
questions down the page here:

James wrote:

> Who's drivers are you using...reference drivers from ATI or others?

I'm using the standard drivers that came with the Mandrake 7.1beta release.

> 3dfx is smart....and by gettin hitched early with Linux server developers...I
> think
> they are ruling King in the Linux-gaming department.
> I am personally not a huge fan of 3DFX....but I have come to appreciate what
> they have done with the gaming side of Linux.  I really wanted to fight it out
> and wait for a GOOD TNT2 Driver....but nothing showed...and the tutorials
> I found were less than helpful. (No offense meant to anyone..I just did not
> get it)
> My Q3 from Loki shipped with MatroxG400 drivers and 3dfx V3 chipset
> drives...with a tut on how to set it up.  To be honest...I think it will be a
> while before the X MesaGL driver will be strong enough...or worldly compatable
> enough to satisfy us "FEED ME NOW!" gamers.

(snip)

> In Quake 3...its fine
> In UT...I will let you know sometime soon....
> With Ktron...FRICKING WICKED ;-)

What is UT?

> > What's the rest of your hardware like?
>
> I picked up a nice deal on a Abit KA7, ($115)
> and a Athlon 700 ($202)
> I grabbed a "cheap" Overclocking Fan and Heat Sink <The  RDJD> and push my
> system at about 886Mhz. ($40)
> I have 512 MB of ram
> a Sound Blaster Live Value
> Viper TNT2 Ultra

That's almost the same system I'm going to build this next week, could you tell
me a little about your overclocking?  I know that the Athlon 700 is a pretty good
overclocker, but it would be nice to hear from someone with a little 'real world'
experience.  Do you have any programs that give you a problem with your
overclock?  I'm planning on getting the Matrox G400 video card, I'm glad that Q3
supports that.

> The system works great ..and I have had no problems with any of the hardware.
>
> >  I'll be building a new computer
> > in the next month and I would like to pick parts that will be able to
> > handle games as well as work.
> >

> Where are you buying your hardware from?

I'm planning on getting most of it from Hard Drives Northwest, computer store in
Washington.

Thanks so much for your time!

Mike

--