On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 03:19:01 +0800,Joe wrote:

> may I know why each of you like the window manager of your
>choice?
>Just to gather some points on the highpoints of each window manager.

===================
Mon, 3 Jul 2000  17:29:05

its the 4th there already?

Well Joe I have a P-166 with 24m ram...Kde runs well, but I thought a
slimmer package might run even better, so I searched through Ice ,
wmaker, FVwm etc, I don't have blkbox on this  MDK 6.1

I tried enlightenment and thought it was pretty good but it caused a
lot of unexplainable anomalies and when it made a segfault I scotched
it for good...

        Then I found afterstep and the flowers started to bloom on
this love affair, it has many really nice features...really good
controllability with copies of the files in your home directory where
you can butcher them at will, and if all goes wrong..just copy in
another default file and start over.

        I have ver 1.8.1 that will do backgrounds in jpg, you can make
multiple copies of the Wharf (dock) to put running programs and
buttons to call other tricks.. it will manufacture a theme at the push
of a button and make a tar.gz in your themes folder, with any setup
you have rigged...it will run themes made for ver 1.7.111....I have
been disassembling other themes and using the parts....it does
transparency...makes lovely menues...you can have multiple
pagers......On and on he babbles........

        It will run KFM with all the kde file system and the kde icons
and run some gnome stuff also...havent messed with that much as I like
the kde stuff... I will though eventually.....

        You can run the aterms with transparency and cut off all the
frames so the writing appears to be on the background picture...of
course this is bound to fatten it up ,... I will lose the very thing I
chose this WM for, but it is quite fun to play with...there is a
mailing list for it ,and a website with pointers to sound files themes
etc...

        I am fixing to build a more capable computer here, but I will
probably run afterstep a lot even still.

Give it a roll
Olly P
Biloxi
Mississippi