Marcia --

I have a zip drive that works just fine.  It's a SCSI rather than an IDE, but I don't
think that should matter much.

A suggestion would be to put a disk in the drive, and then boot up your machine.
Watch the information on the screen to see if
the disk comes up (it should be something like /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, etc. depending on
whether it's primary or secondary, master
or slave).  The number of the device will show you how linux is seeing the drive.  For
example, my zip drive is /dev/sdd, and the
actual volume is /dev/sdd4.  If you see this, it should work.  If the disk is active,
both your drive and the active volume will come
up.  If the drive comes up, but the active volume doesn't, you may have to define it
in DrakeConf/Local File Systems.

Hope this helps.

pete

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:26:33 -0700, Marcia Waller wrote:

>Dear Anyone, I would like to get my zip drive to work now. I installed
>Mandrake 7.0 complete, purchased the OS complete with CDs and guides. I used
>Partition Magic, Bootmagic, and the supplied graphical installer. My zip is
>listed in Lothar. It is an Atapi Zip 100 IDE internal drive. I even put an
>icon on KDE for it but it does not access my zip. I did use the directions
>in the guide for installation but obviously I did not do something right.
>Could someone give me step by step instructions for getting this to work?
>Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, Marcia

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115

Phone: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7175