I'm not sure if you have a SCSI, parallel or what, but for mine (parallel),
I got it working by having a disk inserted and then using the commands
"insmod parport" and "insmod ppa" (without the quotes of course).  That's
all it took.  A lot easier than setting this thing up about 3 years ago.
Hope this helps.

pezcal