OK, for starters, DHCP (and you're probably using this based on your
indication of using the ppp0 interface) will dynamically assign both a host
IP address and DNS IP addresses to your machine as soon as negotiation of
your ISP account is complete. If you are manually configuring DNS addresses
that you have gotten from a different ISP, then *yes* they will change.
Nothing is "up" with it--it's supposed to be that way. Don't worry about
that, it seems it's the least of your worries.

Second, your config seems all screwed up. I'm not sure why you want to
*stop* ipchains from starting, unless you believe it's causing some
particular problem that you haven't explained. Actually ipchains would be a
good thing to have enabled on an internet connected machine because you can
configure it to stop hackers from breaking in.

In order to troubleshoot your setup, please include as detailed a
description of how you set up your interface(s) as possible. From what
you've written here, there's nothing we can do.

--Greg

> resolv.conf goes to different ip as soon as ppp0 starts? what is  up with
> that? these numbers change as soon as ppp0 starts and I open resolv.conf
> see them. any ideas? and so far I have not been sucessfull at keeping
> ipchains from starting, and do not get past the error messages unless I
use
> the "I" option when mandrake goes into interactive phaase.

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif